Friday, October 26, 2012

October is just too much fun!

I've been slacking on the blog lately, tis true.  But I blame October and all it's amazing fun times.  (guess what I'm blogging about next??)  Between birthdays and house guests and parties...oh my....it's been a little rough getting to the blog.  But alas, more picture progress fun is coming today!

The last pic I posted was that R2 now has 2 legs.  Dan likes to surprise me with progress, so seeing his second leg done was pretty awesome.  But wait...it gets better!



He surprised me with R2's eye and coin slots too!  Finding the correct color blue has proven difficult.  Mixing colors is the only way to get what we want.





So now that the legs are built (and bondo-ed, primed, painted, repeat) now it is time to do a bunch of work that no one will ever notice.  Internal structure support, extra weight bearing blah blah blah.  When I come home Dan has something super awesome to show me and it honestly doesn't look all that different.  But it is stuff that needs to be done to make R2 run properly and not fall apart.  So bravo, Dan!  :)  



Once all the boring stuff is done (have you noticed the horse shoes are 2mm taller? I didn't either) we can paint and add fun R2 details.



You see that stuff around the edges.  Know what it is?  It's carbon scoring!  Looks like R2 has seen a lot of action. 





More mechanical stuff.  Like making R2 be able to move from 2 legs to 3.  

2 leg stance 




3 leg stance



At this point in the build Dan has shown me things day in and day out where I have to ask him to show me the detail he has worked on.  For about a week I haven't noticed much of a difference besides structural (aka boring) stuff.  So on this day I'm driving home from work getting text after text saying, "Are you almost home?" "When will you be home?" (Don't worry...I only responded at red lights.) After being throughly confused and intrigued as to why he was so anxious for me to get home, I walk in the door (to which he barely lets me enter) and he shows me this.....





Don't feel bad.  I have no idea what the big deal was either.  Something added to the ankle.  Yayyyyy....sarcasm...yayyy....

And then I walk in further.....


Holy crap!  R2 has a body!!!!!!!  And is standing!!!!!!!





See?  He likes to surprise me.  





He is standing on temporary feet next to our pool table.  But he is the correct height, so you can see how big he really is!  Somehow he doesn't look that big in the movies.  





For over a week he had been working on the frame (to which he did purchase and put together - I have to ask him who he bought it from.  The quality is amazing and this guy deserves mention!) and I had no idea.  What is even funnier is I actually saw the frame put together in his closet and didn't realize what it was.  My view was this (minus all the screws) and I actually put some of Dan's junk (I mean stuff, very important stuff) on top of it while I was cleaning.  


So R2 has a body.  And!!!  Guess who got a baby R2 for her birthday????  He is way too much fun to play with!  Just makes me even more excited for the big one!  :)



I tried to post a video of him but it wouldn't post for some reason.  Sad face.  

Thanks for reading!  More to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment